Friday 6 December 2013

Spelt flour cherry cake



I've never used spelt flour before. But a friend suggested I should give it a try and I did, and the result totally surprised me. This cake is wonderful : it is soft and porous. But what got me is I only poured 1 cm of batter into the tin, but it raised 3 times higher! Look at the picture - isn't that amazing?

Now spelt flour is my favourite ingredient and I'll definitely use it for a few other recipes. And if you have an opportunity, definitely try it yourself!


Spelt flour cherry cake recipe

100 g of butter (or margarine)
350 g of fresh or frozen cherries (pitted)
175 g of spelt flour
100 g of sugar
1 tsp of vanilla extract
1/2 tsp of lemon zest
3 eggs
1/8 tsp of salt
75 g of cornstarch
1 tsp of baking powder
50 ml of buttermilk (or youghurt, or kefir)
icing sugar for sprinkling on top

If you are using frozen cherries, defrost and strain the liquid.

Beat butter, sugar, vanilla extract and lemon zest till light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time.

Mix all dry ingredients and add to the butter mixture, alternating with buttermilk.

Pour the batter into the tin (mine was 24cm in diameter). Put cherries on top. Bake at 180C for about 45 minutes (or until the wooden skewer come out clean).

Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment