Friday 22 November 2013

Caramel peanut butter cookies


Peanuts are technically not nuts. They are a variety of beans. Nonetheless, they are frequent guests in many baking recipes, and I've tried quite a few myself: starting with peanut butter cupcakes and ending with peanut blondies. But these cookies are very special. The combination of caramel and peanuts produces rich and unique taste. It's difficult to stop after the first one. I certainly find it impossible. I need another one! Or better still, two more!

But I am happy to share them with you. See how good I am? I hope you will love them just as I do.


Caramel peanut butter cookies

Recipe

200ml of double cream
1/2 cup of smooth peanut butter
150g of brown sugar
1/4 cup of water
3 Tbsp of white sugar
300g of flour
1 egg
80g of butter
1 tsp of vanilla extract
1 tsp of baking powder
1/4 tsp of salt
1/2 cup of roasted peanuts, chopped into small pieces

Pre-heat the oven to 180C.

We will start with making caramel. Boil brown sugar with water in a saucepan, stirring from time to time. If you have a sugar thermometer, by all means use it. To turn into caramel your sugar should reach 120C. However, I personally never use thermometer when making caramel. I kind of trust my gut feeling. My guide to caramel stage is sugar changes colour sharply to darker shade and starts boiling in the saucepan in a particular way - with faster larger bubbles. That's when I know my caramel is ready. Now add cream and boil for one more minute. Remove from heat. Cool to room temperature.

Mix butter and white sugar, add egg, vanilla extract and peanut butter. Add cooled caramel and chopped roasted peanuts.

Mix flour with salt and baking powder. Gradually add to the butter mixture. Do not tip all the flour in one go! You might need a bit less. Mix the dough until it is of soft and pliable consistency. Using an ice-cream scoop (or a spoon) drop the cookies onto a baking sheet lined with baking parchment. Bake for about 15-20 minutes till lightly golden. Cool on a wire rack.

Enjoy!










No comments:

Post a Comment